Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Puppy is dead - Part I

Rahul was rushing to finish his work. He had been waiting for this day for a long time. The day that he had yearned for has finally arrived.

He had made all his plans a month back. He had stayed two days overnight to finish off his work. His project mates could see happiness radiating in his face. They could not understand the real reason though as they had seen him slog the entire week.

He re-checked his wallet to confirm if the flight ticket was there. Then he checked the date and travel time for nth time again. Everything had gone as planned. He had completed his deliverable and the project was due for release the next day.

He left a note to his Manager and started off rushing to the airport.

On the way to the airport he made a call to her. The only other person on earth who knew what he was up to.

“Mama, Rahul here. Everything’s fine. I am on my way to the airport. Will call you tomorrow. Take care Bye”.

**********************************************************************************

“Rahul, a call for you” yelled Bharath. Rahul was busy trying to fix an open issue. “Hey buddy. Can you take down the name of the person and tell that I’ll call them after an hour”, replied Rahul.

“But it seems the person wants to get some information and its urgent” said Bharath.

Rahul picked up the phone. “ Hello this is Anjali here. Sorry to disturb you Rahul. I am in AFA project and I need some help from you”.

Rahul was mesmerized by her voice. It’s the same familiar voice that he had heard numerous times. “Rahul! Are you there?” queried Anjali.

“Yes. Tell me Anjali. What can I do for you?” replied Rahul.

“Hey buddy not coming for lunch?” called out Bharath. Rahul had been explaining her and this call made him realize that 2 hrs had passed by.

***********************************************************************************

It has just been a couple of months. But her thought seemed to have evaded both Rahul’s heart and his work. He had not been through this before and hence found it very strange.

“What’s her name?” his mom asked Rahul casually while serving dinner.

He was taken aback by this question.

“I can’t get you ma.” he replied.

“I know you beta. I can notice the difference in you. You need not tell me if you wish not to”

“Ma. I don’t know what is happening to me. I’ve started liking her I suppose,” he told his mom.

The taxi came to a screeching halt outside the airport. Rahul got back to his senses.

************************************************************************************

He boarded his flight to Pune. As the flight took off his thoughts drifted towards her. He imagined her cuddled up in his arms. Her beautiful voice, echoed in his ears. All those pleasant memories and sweet nothing conversations rushed up in his mind.

Anjali: You’re amazing. I can’t believe that a person can have so much knowledge and yet be so humble

Rahul: That’s very flattering. I think the same applies to you too.

Anjali: Me??

Rahul: I know that you had won the inter-corporate light music competition. Your voice is so beautiful. I admire your voice. It’s a pleasure to work with you ma’am

Anjali: Thanks Rahul. How do you know that? Do you sing too?

Rahul: Not unless I want an evacuation in my area :-)

Anjali: Giggling… So you just listen and enjoy is it?

Rahul: Yeah! I don’t sing but..(It can wait a little longer. I’ll tell her when I meet her) Yes! For we people are not blessed with the talent that you have. All we can do is admire.

“We’ll be landing in another 5 minutes” announced the flight attendant and this call got Rahul back to the present.

**********************************************************************************

His friend Mithun received Rahul in Pune Airport.

Mithun: Dude! How was your journey?

Rahul: Fine buddy.

Mithun: Will you at least tell me now, the purpose of this trip?

Rahul: Just wait for another day dude. The secret would be out. By the way did you get me what I had asked for?

Mithun: Yes. Here! Have it. But you could have brought your own guitar. Why did you ask for a new one?

Rahul: Its getting late dude. Lets move. I’ll answer all your questions tomorrow.

With a friendly hug both of them parted outside the airport.
To be continued...

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
 
Creative Commons License
Srini Speaks by Srinivasan R is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.