Friday, May 16, 2008

Birthday Blast !

Every dog has its day. Well I would say this pup had its day on the 11th of May! It was my 24th year of existence in this beautiful world.
I had been wondering all along as to why people wish others on their birthday? But I guess the wishes serve the purpose of making us forget the fact that we are getting old :-)
Well let me recount on how things turned out to be for me from the previous night.
Thanks to the age of networking and internet, I started receiving my advance b’day wishes right from 9th in orkut. And on 10th it was sms’s with advance wishes from close friends.
Thanks to my onsite call for keeping me awake till 11:15 pm on 10th. Then started the ‘call mela’ should I put it that way
One of my very close friends called me at 11:20 and kept on talking to me as he wanted to ensure that he was the first person to wish me at the stroke of 12. I had only one strict instruction – speak anything but if you end the call, I’ll burn up your ass the next day.
So he kept me busy till 12 and conferenced our entire gang to wish me and finally came the b’day song. It was very special indeed and they tried their best to sound melodious which made it all the more funny. But now comes the highlighting part of it all
They tried out a huge list of pranks on me throughout the day and I am faithfully recounting them below.
Prank 1:
The first person called me up again, wished me and kept on speaking till 12:45 in the night. We discussed a lot ranging from office, college days, cricket, movies etc. It finally ended with take care machan and see you tomorrow.
Just after 2 minutes came the second call from another close friend and this went on till 1:30.I still did realize the prank they were up to. One by one kept calling with only 5 mins break in-between and I ended up on my phone till 6 AM in the morning.
Finally it was a conference call again at 6 when they happily rejoiced over how they had not let me sleep.
I literally dropped on my bed when the next row of phone calls started – This time from my relatives. When I took the phone and said lazy thanks, mom was annoyed. “They are calling early morning to wish you and how can you be so careless in your response?”
I only knew what happened the whole night.
Prank 2:
I finally manage to get myself up from bed after a short nap! Then it was usual stuff of getting ready, wearing the new dress and getting blessing of elders at home.
In arrives my first friend, hugs me tight and wishes me. He once again boasts happily about their planning and execution the previous night.
Now he throws a googly at me in front of my parents – Machan have you told about her to your mom and dad? You said you’ll be disclosing it today.
Now where did this come from?
“Oops! You have not yet said is it! Sorry da machi!” Saying this he leaves the place.
I just giggled and told them it was a prank to my parents. Now within 10 minutes the same person calls me and asks me to come out to a nearby shop saying he wanted a treat right away.
I obliged and went to that shop. He got himself a butterscotch cone followed by a Cassatta Slice. I too took one ice cream, chatted a few mins and came back home.
I found my friends in 3 sets of motorbike suddenly racing past my home without noticing me.
Back at home, my parents were pretty seriously involved in a discussion as I entered.
“You could have told this to us. What’s wrong in falling in love with a person” asks my dad.
Just then I realized what the second prank was. They had so beautifully used some instances from my life and narrated a love story to my parents in a span of 15 mins. And it took me another ½ hr to make my parents understand that it was all fart!
In comes another conference call at 9.30 and we all started laughing over what happened.
Prank 3: (Can’t really call it a prank though..its usual stuff)
Had a sumptuous lunch at home shortly and dozed off after that. I had managed to wake up only by 2 pm.
Went off to beach by 4 and spent time with all the friends till 8 in the night. Had two rounds of treat and four rounds of b’day bums. As and when a new member arrives, I’ll be royally lifted off and kicked until they got tired. And all this in the beach. The security persons deployed at the beach came around to our place mistaking it for a gang war on the 4th occasion and only then it stopped.
Finally they dropped me back at home, and bade goodbye.
(God saved me for one good thing happened! They put a clear policy to stop giving b’day bums at office and I was spared the next day at work )

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

all i waould say is "God, you better give me a birthday like this one..i am so bored of cutting cake ,treating friends and receiving wishes... i too want a memorable birthday"
sri..you made me jealous by this post...
its nice and funny and amazingly prankful...loved it..and i hv got a lot of ideas to try on my friends....
i should hv pranked in your testi too somehow so that it also got a mention here...:D
keeep writing..

lefty84 said...

@ Appu: You'll surely have a memorable b'day this year around. Trust me :-)
Your testi is infact indirectly mentioned in the post. Its your testi which prompted my friends to play the second prank on me.
They started askin who you are and how I came to know you. They were jealous when I told them that it was the networking engineer story that made us friends :-)

Cheers
Lefty

Anonymous said...

makes me feel so good to see the word jealousy there....yippee..
its so kiddish but i hv a grin on my face...
thanks sri...
dont forget your promise...
i cant wait to read your next post..

lefty84 said...

@ Appu: Brough a grin on your face..Good to hear that.

I'll put up a post on it soon as promised.

Cheers
Lefty

scintilla said...

Quite an eventful day that must have been for you...

Keep writing :)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
 
Creative Commons License
Srini Speaks by Srinivasan R is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.