Sunday, March 2, 2008

A poem on my poem writing experience

The following is a poem that I had written for a competiton during my 12th std.

It was a beautiful fine morning
And I woke up half yawning
I rushed to school in my bicycle
And what happened that day was nothing less than a miracle


It was Independence Day celebration
And I had enrolled myself for a mystery competition
Poetry writing competition announced my English teacher
I wanted to shout at her “You are devilish creature”

She told us to write a poem
With beautiful rhyme
Using metaphors and similes
I thought of crying please

I rushed to strike off my name
For I had only myself to blame
She told me that my excuse was lame
And with little effort I could achieve fame

Her words were quite alluring
But I could not find a topic that was enduring
While my friends had started penning
I was left wondering and dreaming

Then a thought stuck me like lightning
That a poem on the competition itself would be worth reading
So I took my pen and started writing
Rushing against the stop-watch that was fast ticking

My attempt on that day is what you’re reading
And I end up by throwing a statutory warning
That for writing poem one needs IQ
And there were no one for my rescue

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm ...amazing poem.. funny and realistic.. in the beginning i thought it is some joke but only later i realised what a fine piece of poetry have you come up with.. :)keep up the good job

lefty84 said...

@ girl next door: Hey thanks a lot for your feedback. That was my first attempt at an english poetry.

scintilla said...

Loved it!

Funny, sweet and makes some sense!
Nice ending..

Keep writing :)

lefty84 said...

@i'm_alive - Hey! Thanks for going through and dropping in your comment!

Anonymous said...

Your poem is witty and funny. Like the last part though.

book report

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
 
Creative Commons License
Srini Speaks by Srinivasan R is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License.